Did you know….many vehicle remote key fobs can be programmed with a simple manual procedure that does not require any specialist knowledge or equipment. This article explains how you can program a remote fob for a Ford car – in less than 30 seconds!
The Ford remote fob explained
A Ford remote key consists of three main parts:
1) Mechanical blade to lock and unlock the lock barrels
2) An electronic transponder chip that is programmed to the vehicle to deactivate the immobiliser
3) A remote control fob that operates the cars central locking system from the push of a button
Parts 1 and 2 require specialist locksmith tools to cut and program the key. Part 3 (locking fob) however, can be replaced and programmed by you!
Ford remote fob programming instructions
Here’s what to do….
- Put a programmed key into the ignition
- Turn the key to position 2
- Now turn the key from position 2 to 1 four times, ending on position 1
- An audible beep should sound confirming the car is now ready to be programmed
- Press either of the two buttons on the remote and listen for another beep to confirm programming
- Now turn the key back to position 0 and remove from the ignition
- Wait 30 seconds and then test the remote
And thats it, job done!!!
If you only have a manual key for your car and would like a remote fob then give us a call. The Auto Locksmith is able to provide stand alone remotes that do the need to be built into a key. This allows you to add a remote fob for considerably less than the cost of purchasing a full remote key from a Ford dealer. For more info on Ford keys take a look at our Ford car key section of the website.