If you own a Ford Fiesta that has a proximity smart key you most probably love your key and think it’s the best thing since sliced bread. The Ford proximity key makes things super easy, pull the door handle, open the car, push a button and off you go….all without even having to touch a key.
However, what happens when things don’t quite work as expected? You pull the door handle and the car does not respond and stays locked. You make a huge effort to dig deep into your pocket, pull out the proximity key and press the unlock button…..that should fix it. Oh, still not working!?
So we have three possibilities causing the issue:
- The car battery is flat (someone left the interior lights on, tut tut). If the car battery dies the unit that picks up the key signal won’t work and the car will not respond to the key, no matter how hard you press that button. So stop pressing the button so hard as you will most likely damage the casing, but that’s a story for another article.
- The battery in the proximity key is dead. You will have most likely seen a message flashing up on the dashboard warning the battery in the key is low. If you seen this message DO NOT IGNORE IT, replace the battery as soon as possible.
- Your super cool Ford Fiesta proximity key is broken. Remember that time you threw it out the window to your other half and it bounced off the window ledge onto the car and then hit the floor? Well they certainly don’t bounce too well so it could well have damaged the electronic PCB inside the key.
How to unlock a Ford Fiesta when your proximity key is not working
If you find your Ford Fiesta smart key is not unlocking the car there is a very simple way to gain access and resolve the problem.
Push the two sides of the key that are grooved and pull open the back cover
You will now see the emergency key blade hidden inside the back of the proximity key
Remove the emergency key blade and the snapped end into the ridge of the key
Insert the key blade into the door lock and use the proximity key as a lever
Turn the key to unlock the door
Video: Unlock Fiesta with smart key secret key blade
I hope you found this article helpful, if you have any questions leave a comment in the box below.
Article by Mark Migliaccio, Founder of www.theautolocksmith.co.uk
Latest posts by Mark Migliaccio (see all)
- Ford Fiesta Smart Key How To Unlock When Battery Flat - November 23, 2018
- How to unlock a Toyota Yaris when the proximity key battery is dead - November 23, 2018
- How to access VW Jetta boot with keys locked inside - October 31, 2018