When attempting to start the car the key goes all the way into the ignition but will not turn. You have a jammed Chrysler ignition barrel.
The do it yourself solution
This is a very common problem with almost all Chrysler vehicles. It happens for two reasons; either the key is slightly worn, or more likely the wafers in the ignition are sticking and not correctly positioning.
There is a very quick fix for this problem that we only recommend if it is an absolute emergency and essential the car is driven immediately.
Follow these steps to get the key turning:
- Insert the key into the ignition lock
- With a rubber tool, such as the handle end of a large screwdriver, tap the key on its head several times. (Note, take care not to hit the key too hard as the head of the key contains a transponder chip required for deactivating the cars immobiliser and can be easily damaged
- The key should now turn
- Call The Auto Locksmith on 07739 383344 and arrange for us to remove and repair your Chrsyler ignition barrel
This process should get the key tuning fairly easily and works 9 out of 10 times. This will not solve the problem that originally caused the key not to turn and should only be used once in an emergency situation. The ignition will jam again and you may not be able to get it to turn a second time, so do not chance your luck and make sure you get it repaired.
The Auto Locksmith solution
When we attend a Chrysler with a stuck ignition we copy your key onto a duplicate metal key. We use this key to follow the above steps to avoid damaging the transponder chip hidden in your original key. We then remove the ignition barrel and disassemble it and make full repair. Once repaired the key will turn freely, and you will have peace of mind knowing your ignition will not jam up when you are miles from home.
Our Chrysler ignition repair service is performed while you wait and is usually completed within 30 minutes. It is worth noting a repair from The Auto Locksmith will be significantly cheaper than having a new lock set fitted at the main dealer.
Disclaimer – We take no responsibility for any damage caused from our ‘do it yourself solutions’ and always recommend booking a professional to carry out such work.
Latest posts by Mark Migliaccio (see all)
- Ford Fiesta Smart Key How To Unlock When Battery Flat - November 23, 2018
- How to unlock a Toyota Yaris when the proximity key battery is dead - November 23, 2018
- How to access VW Jetta boot with keys locked inside - October 31, 2018